Tuesday, July 3, 2007

More bugs

Paige is in Michigan right now. Every day I talk to her, and her first question is "Did you call an exterminator yet?" After she found the last scorpion in the house, she had the crazy idea to go around the backyard with a blacklight to see how many more there were. When you find a scorpion in your house, and your wife is deathly afraid of them... don't go looking around your backyard with a black light. We found 5 the first night, and 4 the second night. Each time, Paige was squealing like, well, a woman afraid of scorpions. I has having fun, like being a kid again. I commented that Levi and Noah will have great fun in a few years, hunting scorpions in the backyard. Paige's response was less than supportive of our boys future careers in bug hunting.

So I went out hunting again last night. I found three on the back wall. Two were hiding in the cracks of the wall. I tried to blast them with flaming starter spray. I'm not sure if I got them or not. This big ol' bugger was hanging out at the bottom of the wall.



I discovered it is fairly difficult to take a picture of a scorpion at night. You have to crouch down behind a bush, balance the black light, get the camera really really close for the macro to work, and then hold perfectly still so the image isn't blurry. Of course, this isn't easy to do when the dang scorpion goes scurrying across the wall and you jump up squealing like, well, a little girl afraid of scorpions...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can totally relate to how Paige feels. I have the same fear and after three years of finding scorpions in my house, this year I have hired an exterminator. It is either the exterminator comes once a month to spray or I will have to move in with my mother every summer. Is there any building going on by your house within a two mile radius? If their nests are disturbed they will move. Good Luck.

Your,

Aunt Ruth