Monday, June 6, 2011

You think that thing is big enough?

For whatever reason, Rocky Point seems to be where all the Walcott clan males attempt things that probably shouldn't be attempted in a country with a sub-standard medical care system.  In the 30 some years we've been going there, I can recall "surfing" on car trailers being towed across the dunes, water balloon launchers at point blank range, stingray hunting close calls, potato guns, and far too many questionable fireworks exploding prematurely.

The last few years it has been a ginormous kitesurfing kite.  Cousin Jonathan found  a smokin' deal on ebay.  Turns out that it appears to have been a good deal because the thing is so huge that it is nearly uncontrollable.


Probably doesn't help that instead of being pulled gracefully across the waves on a kite surfing board (or having a clue what we are doing), we use it to get dragged around the beach like a bunch of grinning morons.


Having missed the last few years, I haven't had a chance to actually see this thing in action, although I've certainly heard about it.  It was literally dragging my cousins across the beach, no matter how hard they tried to stop.  A jump up, and you go sailing until you come back down again.


Now you'll notice that in the pictures above, my cousins are a bunch of fairly ripped guys.  I used to look like that a few short years ago, but sadly have to admit I am past my prime.  But while I may not share their toned physique, I figured that as the eldest cousin I had the... ahem... weight of my experience as an advantage.

In other words... too many Chipotle burritos would make me a much more effective anchor.

So after the assurance from Paige that she would wash my clothes if they got a little dirty, I strapped in.


Here I am demonstrating my anchor skills...

And then was promptly body slammed into the beach.  Kite went right and started really pulling, I thought it would hit the house, dug in my feet, and BANG.  Face first into the sand, feeling like a truck just hit me.


Maybe next year we should get an actual kite surfing board.  Just imagine the potential!


In hindsight... I'm kind of glad I didn't see that video prior to Mexico.  And that the harness that attaches you to the kit kept popping off of me...

No comments: