Monday, October 12, 2009

Remember the Family Circus comic strip?

Saturday we took the kids over to the Gilbert Riparian Park for some fun.

Is it any wonder that this kid's head is covered in bruises? He's got a big bruise on the right side, a big scrape right above the bruise, another scrape on the left side. When the clumsy little kid goes down, apparently he breaks the fall with his giant noggin! Sunday night he crashed in nursery and got a bloody nose. The workers said they weren't too concerned, since they could see the evidence that he is prone to accidents...









They happened to be having some kind of kid's fishing day, so we checked out a large catfish in a bucket.



Passed by a "simulated Martian surface." Ummm, wow. Looks pretty much like the rest of the Arizona desert...



Levi tripped on a rock, fell to the ground, and immediately exclaimed "Wow! Look Dad! A spider!" That kid is absolutely obsessed with bugs and seeds. Every bug is his "little buddy" and every seed needs to be planted to see what it will grow into.



Fed some ducks...



Examined the stream...



All tuckered out (me, not Luke...)



Possibly inspired by my T-shirt choice that morning, I decided to finish up the afternoon by creating my first Bacon Explosion. I read about it a while ago, and have been itching to make one. So I procured 2 pounds of pork sausage, 2 pounds of bacon, and some BBQ seasonings...



Wrapped them into a masterpiece and tossed it into the smoky grill...



The Bacon Explosion, well... exploding! I think this must be how it got it's name...



Mmmmmmm, bacon...



Looks might tasty...



I gotta say though... I was underwhelmed. I mean, it was good, and... bacon-y. But it wasn't like I passed out in sheer bacon ecstasy. It was basically just a ginormous spicy breakfast sausage. Now I've got 3.5 pounds of a huge bacon creation that I am not quite sure what to do with. So probably my first and last Bacon Explosion.



What does all this have to do with the Family Circus? Not much, really. But using my meager Photoshop skills, I put together the following, which reminded me of the comics where the kids wanders all over the page to accomplish (or not) one simple task.




1 comment:

Van Den Brinks said...

I guess the Bacon Explosion is one of those things in life where the actual experience is less satisfying than the anticipation of it! It might be best to make it for about 8 meat crazy guys on a camping trip or something...
Joel