Saturday, April 17, 2010

Give zeeze people eyhr!



The last few weeks (months?) my allergies have been horrible. I've also occasionally been having a hard time breathing. I chalked it up to allergies, and figured I must be getting asthma or something. But then I spent most of the beginning of this week feeling like air was only getting into the top 1/4 of my lungs. Wednesday was particularly bad, enough that I broke down and made myself a doctor's appointment for the next day.

The next day I went in, figuring they would say I had asthma. The doc's first comment to me was "Don't plan on being out of here very quickly." Uh oh. She ordered a breathing treatment, an x-ray, an EKG, and bloodwork.

Breathing treatment = Not breathing any better, but holy cow does that stuff make me super jumpy!

EKG = Nothing apparently wrong.

Bloodwork = Still don't know the results of this one.

Chest X-ray = I met the doc in the hall as she was reviewing my x-ray....

Her: "See that bubble right there?"

(I asked the x-ray tech for my pictures, and she gave me a CD. Sweet! So yeah, those are my actual lungs!)

Me: "Ummmmm, no."

Her: "Well, you get to go for a stat CT scan to check it out!"

Ummm, great. I don't think that you typically get a CT scan for asthma. What on earth do I have?

So I left the doctor's office and headed across the street to the CT scan place. On the way out of the parking lot, I saw a sign for the Gilbert Tea Party, this way! Well, heck, I've got 30 minutes until my CT. If I'm going to find out I have some terminal lung disease, I might as well hit the Tea Party for a few minutes.

I arrived (wheezing) just in time to hear the tail end of Sheriff Joe's speech.


On my way out, someone handed me a flyer for some guy running for Arizona governor and screeched "The income tax is illegal!!!"

Really? I consider myself fairly right wing, but I'm not quite sure how you argue with this...

Amendment XVI to the US Constitution: "The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes on incomes, from whatever source derived, without apportionment among the several States, and without regard to any census or enumeration."

Pretty sure I am not voting for that guy...

Back to the CT scan place to get bombarded with more space particles. First they jab an 18 gauge needle into my arm, and tell me when the contrast goes in "you might feel the sensation of urinating." Let me tell you... they aren't kidding around with that one!

But I asked them for pictures too, and they gave me a CD. Not just of the pictures, but a whole program that lets you manipulate them, shade different types of tissue, make movies, etc. Very cool!


(Again... pictures of my actual insides. How cool is that!)

I wonder how much they are going to charge me for that CD? Eeek!

Back to the docs. Apparently, whatever she saw on my lungs didn't show up in the CT scan.

So I still don't know if I have the consumption, or dust pneumony, or what. I'm waiting for the results of the bloodwork, which are supposed to be ready on Friday Saturday Monday. Until then, I've got a prescription for prednisone (medicine of the gods, love that stuff! says Paige) which seems to be helping, but hasn't entirely solved the problem.

Grrrrr....

No comments: