Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Meteors!

The Geminid meteor shower hit its peak last night. For whatever reason, I got the itch to see some meteors. So I loaded up some blankets and a lawn chair and headed away from the city lights at 2 AM. At least, a little ways away.

I saw a bunch of meteors. Watched for about an hour before I got cold (I know... wuss) and saw probably 50 of them.

I attempted to get pictures. With a 15 second exposure, I figured I could at least capture something.  But after 47 photos, all I got was this...



Oh wait.  That was a semi truck full of smelly livestock.  Different kind of meteor.

I actually got a whole bunch of this...
Multiple times when I triggered the camera, meteors would fall all around the field of view (but not in it.)  Then just as I heard the click inidcating it was done taking that exposure, a huge one would go streaking right through were I was aiming.

The show is still supposed to be going on tonight if you want to head out in the wee hours!

No comments: