Saturday, April 21, 2012

Dinos, stuck Legos, and dancing

Today I took Luke on a Daddy Date.  For whatever reason, the kid isn't my biggest fan lately.  He is attached to Paige like a fly on sh... well, let's just say he is really fond of her.  If she leaves him alone with me, he cries and then hangs out by the window watching for her return.

So today she said we needed to "work on our relationship."

So we went garage saling, found a strange dino hat, some rubber spiders to scare Mom with, and a cinnamon roll the size of his head.


Relationship repaired.  At least until the sugar high wears off...


On Friday, Paige told me that Sophie claimed she put a Lego in her nose.

This afternoon, I was Googling "how to get a Lego out of your kid's nose."  The things you end up researching as a parent... sheesh...

Yup, there is a Lego shoved way up that nostril on the left.


So according to the first few hits I looked at, a suggested and fairly successful method is something like CPR.  Plug the nostril without the Lego, mouth to mouth, and then blow hard.

Sophie was fairly cooperative, sitting their with mouth agape while her brothers and sister cheered me on.  Plug nose, big breath in, apply lips, annnnnd.... blow.

I heard a little squeak of surprise from Sophie.  Then she looked at me like "Dad, that was the weirdest kiss ever!"  And then started giggling.

But no Lego.

So taking the giggles as a good sign that I didn't rupture her lungs, we tried the baby inflation trick a few more times.

Still no Lego.  But she giggled each time.

So then I found the one paper clip in our desk drawer, fashioned it into a small hook, pinned Sophie down on the bed, and snagged it.


Then we sang a few rousing rounds of "Don't put a Lego up your nose!  Cause that's not where a Lego goes!" just to try and reinforce the lesson.

Then that evening it was off to a Daddy-Daughter Dance with the eldest.




My good Dutch CRC upbringing and natural antisocial tendencies leaves me completely unprepared for these type of events.

Ella, however, kept dragging me back out onto the dance floor.  Gonna have to keep a close eye on her in a few more years...


She was worn out by the end of the night, and the little princess said she had fun... even if her Dad can't dance.

2 comments:

Karen said...

I am pretty sure you can google or u-tube a how-to video on white, middle-aged man dance moves.

Btw, Paige showed me your lego- fishing-photo-with-paperclip on her phone at the used children's store we were both at yesterday, and the first thing I said was, "this is gonna be on the blog tonight." Was I right or what??

Just another day at the Addinks. Or Steketee's.

Paige and I compared urgent care facilities for haste and efficiency since we both seem to need them on speed dial.

Jason Addink said...

You know Karen, I watched this video multiple times, but it just didn't seem to help. Plus I figured the school would sort of frown on the costume.

http://youtu.be/68_ZQsV4ULg

Beyond that, I'm a little afraid of what I would find if I tried to search youtube for middle aged white man dance moves. Probably Vanilla Ice's youtube channel or something similarly scary.

Paige told me you figured I would blog the Lego, so I made sure I got the post up that night. Dont want to disappoint my fans... or, err.. fan.