Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Finally done with the paperwork (almost)

Last week we cleared the final legal hurdle in Sophie's adoption, after about 3 years of paperwork.  We re-adopted her.  Sounds weird, but what it really amounts to is tying up the legal loose ends, the ability to get her an Arizona birth certificate, and a legal name change.  They send them home with their first name and the father's first name, so until now her legal name has been Tufah Jason Addink.  I thought it had a nice ring to it, but Paige disagreed.

Here's the picture of us with the judge.



Then we took a lovely family picture of all the kids.


Ugh.  They were horrible for this picture.  No one would still, and by the end we were all grumpy (including Mom and Dad.)

Sophie was also heartbroken when I told her she no longer got to share my name...
 

And tonight we got a letter saying that because of the adoption tax credit, the IRS is "holding your refund until we complete a more thorough review."  So I guess we aren't quite done with the paperwork yet...

2 comments:

Karen said...

I have always found family picture "outtakes" so much better (and true to life) than the finished, glossy, but never-very-aunthentic end product. I think you guys just snapped your Christmas 2012 family picture. Love it!!

Jason Addink said...

I agree. The ones where everyone is misbehaving are always better, because everyone knows they weren't all sitting there like angels. We paid a photographer hundreds this summer, and which one did the inlaws use for their Christmas card? The one of all the kids misbehaving that I snapped with my iPhone while the photographer was setting up.