Friday, September 12, 2008

Our kids love flags

For a long time, Paige has used flags as a distraction for our kids on car rides. If they start acting up, she gets them to look out for the first flag they can spot. Now they absolutely love to find flags, and any time they spot one the back of the van erupts in cries of "Flag! Flag!"

So today we took them all down to the 9/11 memorial by Tempe Town Lake. Unfortunately, we arrived just as a 50 mile long wall of dust barreled into Phoenix.



"Whoa dad... look at all the flags..."



Our biggest challenge was keeping our kids from whooping and hollering in excitement, in the middle of what is intended to be a slightly more somber and quiet experience.



I tried to convince them to sit perfectly still, "like statues," while I tried to get a picture of the flags flapping. They did pretty good, but it is awfully hard for a 3 year old boy to remain perfectly motionless.



On the way back to the car, Levi insisted on pulling Ella, "all by myself." I was amazed how far he actually made it. After about 100 feet, he said "Dad, I'm not th-trong enou-ch. You need to help me." Not a problem kiddo...



I find it hard to believe that this happened 7 years ago. Every anniversary, it seems like it was just yesterday. But at the same time, it seems like so long ago, it is hard to remember just what life was like back then.


1 comment:

Paul and Mandy Winn said...

In that second picture it looks a bit like Levi is relieving himself on the grass.

More serious: I know what you mean about the stuff happening on Sept. 11. I am constantly in awe at how it seems like a recent event. I can even remember the day and what I was doing in vivid detail, this is rare for me.