Sunday, November 30, 2008

The old alma mater



Saturday I met up with my old roommate Joel. I went to lunch, saw their kids, their house, just sat around and caught up. Afterwards we walked around Dordt to see what had changed, and then I wandered around Sioux Center.

When I used to come back to college, I always got that sinking feeling in my stomach. This time, I think I was a little bit nostalgic. If anyone had told me 9 years ago that I would actually miss Dordt someday, I would have said they were on crack. Guess not though...

Building B, the site of many good times. And a garbage man that comes way too early in the morning (our room was the bottom right, right next to the cans.)


The Fareway grocery store, where Todd worked...


Pat's Jewelry is still around. Maybe I should have taken Paige's ring back this trip to have them look at the diamond that cracked...


Bamboo Garden! I'm amazed this place is still in business. We always called it Bamboo Louie's. To this day, any Chinese restaurant around our house is referred to as Bamboo Louie's.


The Dordt Chapel still looks like it always did. Although the view from the roof is probably different, given all the changes on campus. Not that we were ever on the chapel roof or anything...


The water tower north of town. Nice view from there... not that we were ever on top of the water tower either...


The Sioux Center grain elevator. I am sure the view from there is nice as well... not that I would know how winded you can get climbing that ladder as fast as you possibly can so as not to be spotted...
Good times were had there. I do kind of miss it...

3 comments:

andje said...

i am still not on your family list. what is with the vip family club?

azsteenstras said...

In reference to the chapel roof...didn't you and Todd run like little girls when my security bro's chased you? Who got caught again? I wish I was working that night..... good times...:)

Jason Addink said...

Not saying any of this actually happened, but... yeah we ran! As fast as our little legs would carry us. Only Eric got caught... and it was like his first week at Dordt. I ran straight south, and hit the barbed wire fence in the treeline at full speed. Hypothetically speaking, of course...

We didn't get caught the other times we were up there though. If I recall, I think we even sat up there and smoked stogies once.

Assuming I am not making this whole story up, you realize...

;)