Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Did you hear Willie Nelson died?

Yup, he was playing on the road again!

Ahhhhhhh, best joke ever.


After my whirlwind of a vacation, we loaded up the van and headed out. Nothing too exciting on the road trip, just lots and lots of miles, hours of movies and VSmile, and plenty of crazy right wing podcasts. Certainly we did much better than some of our previous road trips (and one of the very first blog posts.)

We did manage to squeeze in a stop at the volcano and ice cave in New Mexico.



I see the signs every drive, and always want to stop. I've got this vague recollection of stopping at some sort of ice cave on a road trip as a kid. I don't think I actually got to go into the cave, but I think I recall my dad going into the cave, and thinking that I'd never see him again because he'd slide to the bottom of the slippery ice tube and never get back out. I guess I had quite the imagination as a kid.

The volcano was interesting, but I can't say it was overly impressive. I did have the kids going for a second when we heard thunderstorms, and I told them maybe the volcano was erupting again. After three huge sets of eyes swiveled right at me, I was told by Paige that I can't make up stories like that and freak them out.


But it's just so much fun...


This was as close as we could get "ok, everybody look at the camera and smile!"


This way to the ice cave! They were totally excited. They apparently had no idea that their dad could possibly slide down the ice tube never to be seen again.


Ok, so this was not the ice tube memory of my youth. Basically a large entrance to a lava tube, filled with ice. It stays about 30 degrees in the bottom year round, due to the cold air trapped in the hole and the insulation of the porous lava. Interesting... but not worth the price of admission.


That was our one sightseeing stop in 1906 miles and three solid days of driving.

Then it was back to work for me the next day, and 18 loads of laundry for Paige, while the kids did their best on the nice clean house!

No comments: