Friday, August 27, 2010

Neurotic Mother of Multiples

Tonight was a big step for me in the "Yes, I am neurotic" category, so I thought I would share. Tonight I took Levi shopping for new shoes for kindergarten. I have been talking myself into this all week. Not the going shopping part with a five year old boy, but the part where I take JUST Levi. Just Levi and Mom and I let HIM pick out his OWN pair of shoes. You see, typically I would run into a store some evening when I have a minute to myself, and Jason is at home putting the kids to bed. I would cruise down the shoe isle, if that's what I needed, and grab 2 pairs of shoes for the boys. Two lovely matching pairs of shoes in the same size. (Yes, there is always a conversation when you check out as to why you have two pairs of the exact same shoes.) Two the same is just easier. Just faster. Just cuter. Just matchier. :) I am admitting my problem to you all now, I love to have my boys matching! I would match them all the time if possible, or better yet coordinate. Heck if I can find the same thing in a smaller sz I will snag clothing for Luke also, just so he can match his brothers.

So tonight while I was out shopping with Levi I had to do a lot of self talking (soothing) to get through the experience. I kept reminding myself this was for kindergarten and I can not have them dressed the same forever. I kept reminding myself that they would enjoy picking out their own special pair of shoes for school. I kept reminding myself that it was probably best for their feet to not always be sharing and switching shoes. I kept reminding myself that it would be okay if their feet didn't match. Ahhhhhh. I made it. Levi and I had a lovely time picking out just the right pair of school shoes. He was a joy to shop with and was hilarious with his insights as to which shoes were faster and would be better for tag.

All was going well, and then I opened my mouth and said, "Hey buddy do you think you need a new shirt for kindergarten too?" He looked down and his shirt and declared that it did indeed have a hole in it and a new shirt was in order. So off to the clothing section of Kohls we headed. I was so proud that I had only one pair of shoes in the cart that I was sure I could let him pick out a new shirt for himself as well (without there being a duplicate in the cart at check out time.)

*I warned you at the beginning of this post that I am neurotic, so just go easy on me!

Sadly AZ switches seasons in the stores with the schedule of the rest of the nation that enjoys all four seasons. Long sleeved flannels and jeans when it is 116 outside is a little hard to swallow this time of the year. So we searched and searched and found one rack of tees. Much to Levi's delight they were Mario Brothers tee shirts. UGH! Again the self talk began, as I reminded myself over and over that it was okay for him to wear that horrid shirt in public. It was okay to fuel the obsession with Mario (we don't even own the game, but believe you me, my boys are OBSESSED). It was okay to let him choose this shirt all by himself. And it was okay that there was only one of that shirt on the rack. As I was searching through the rack for anything else, ANYTHING, I came across a similar Mario shirt just in green. Levi decided he liked his blue one better, but we should get the green for Noah. Man, I love that kid. He picks out a hideous shirt, but still thinks about coordinating with his brother! (See, it wasn't me, it was Levi!) But seriously, it felt so much better to have two shirts in our cart, rather than one. If Levi is going to wear that ugly shirt in public, he might as well be sporting it with pride along with his matching best friend.

So here he is... Levi with his new "really fast" shoes and his Mario tee shirt.

(Good luck Mrs. Marquard, he's all yours on Monday!)



Tomorrow I will be taking Noah shopping to let him choose his very own pair of shoes.
I think I can do it. There is one thought that keeps running through my mind that brings me such great joy. Next year they will be wearing uniforms to school and they can match every single day!

No comments: