Saturday, July 4, 2009

Fireworks (and an "adventure" in the back of the car)

The rest of the fam rolled in today from their adventure in California. Levi and Noah seemed to not be too worn out from their adventure, so I decided to take them out to see the fireworks.

Paige and her mom decided to go to bed early. Party poopers...

So we loaded some chairs into the back of my car, and headed over to the EVBC parking lot. Our church is close enough to the Gilbert fireworks that it makes a good viewing location. We found a spot up on the hill and set up our chairs.



Levi and Noah were so excited they couldn't sit still. Noah kept asking how long until the fireworks "arrived."

"30 minutes" I would say.

"Dad, what comes before 30?"

"Ummmmm, 20?"

"Yeah, 20! Dad, tell me when it is 20 minutes 'till the fireworks arrive!"

To pass the time, Levi and Noah wanted to take pictures of them making silly faces. So we did...


Not two minutes before the fireworks start, Levi says to me...

"Dad, I have to go poopy!"

Ummmmmm, not good. We are in the parking lot of church, which is not open. So there are no bathrooms anywhere near. If we have to go find one, we might as well leave, because we will miss the whole show.

"Buddy, can you hold until fireworks are done?"

"Wellllllll, I guess so..."

The show commences. We have a great viewing spot...


About 15 minutes into the show...

Levi: "Dad! I have to go poopy now! Really really badly!"

He is doing the infamous "gotta go right now" dance...

Ummmm, not good. If I don't find this kid a potty, he'll be setting off his own stinky little fireworks. Implementing my very best MacGyver skills, I realize I have the plastic grocery bag we carried our water bottles in, and a roll of paper towels in my car. So I grab Levi, Noah, and the camera (leaving our chairs) and make a beeline for my car. I toss Levi and Noah into the cargo area, climb in, and slam the hatch. I flip on the dome light, spead the plastic bag on the floor, and man the paper towels.

Mission successful!

Minutes later, we are making a beeline back to our chairs so we don't miss the rest of the show...



About 5 minutes later...

Levi: "Dad! I have to go poopy again! Really really really badly!"

He is wiggling like crazy this time, legs clamped tightly together.

Back to the car we go. This time I don't bother actually getting myself in the trunk. I just kind of half close it behind me.

Mission accomplished, part two.

Levi assures me that this time he is all finished (although this is the same thing he said the first time...)

We make it back to our chairs, about halfway through the grand finale...


We all loaded into one very very stinky car, and headed home.

We got to see some cool fireworks.

We avoided any personal explosions of our own.

A successful day at the Addinks... ;)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

HILARIOUS!! you gotta be keeping a diary of all the antics you all experience. was good meet you and Ella!! Hopefully the rest of the family will be with you next time....HI PAGE!!

cara meyer

Jason Addink said...

This blog IS our diary. Someday I will have to figure out how to save it somewhere permanent in case Google decides to stop offering it for free.