Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Go west young man (or.... north)

Last weekend, I headed up to Salt Lake City to see my BFF Jonathan.

Did I actually just use "BFF"? I'm never sure what to call Jonathan. "Best friend" seems kind of, well, un-manly. Plain old "friend" doesn't properly convey his ranking in my hierarchy of acquaintances (small as it is.) "Bro" just seems too California surfer dude. Let's just say I've known the dude since kindergarten, and we can pretty much complete each others sentences.

Anywho... I drove up to Utah. I left Thursday after work, with the intention to get somewhere higher in elevation and cooler in temperature, sleep in the car, and then start up again in the morning.

I hit Page, AZ at around 8 PM, after catching the sunset over the Marble Canyon / Lee's Ferry / Vermillion Cliffs (in the distance.) Click on the picture to see the larger version.

My lovely wife should recognize this picture, as I took one on the exact same sign 11 (?) years ago, right after we started dating, as I was driving up to Utah for Jonathan's wedding.



After stopping at the Rocking V Cafe in Kanab for dinner (excellent fish tacos!) I jumped back in the car and kept moving. I am a notoriously bad night driver. I cannot stay awake. Heck, I usually fall asleep in cars during the day. But a strong coffee and the fear of hitting one of the 436 deer (approximately) that were standing right on the shoulder of the road kept me awake all the way to I-15. Once back on the interstate, 80 MPH speedlimits and no traffic, and I ended up driving straight through.

I got to Salt Lake at around 3 AM. Rather than wake anyone up, I just pulled up in the driveway, laid my seat back, and went to sleep.

Jonathan was surprised to see me sitting on his porch in the morning, since he didn't expect me until later in the day. Well, technically it isn't his porch. It is his in-laws. They've got a great old Victorian built in 1892 that they are restoring. They were kind enough to let me crash on their living room floor for a few days, despite the fact that they already have their daughter and son-in-law living with them. Knowing Jonathan as well as I do, I'm not sure how they have put up with him for a year. And having me around certainly doesn't help him stay out of mischief. ;)

Jonathan showed me the sights of Salt Lake...

The largest copper mine in the US (world?) This thing was a huge hole in the ground...


Those trucks might look all tiny and cute, until you see a normal pickup behind one for scale...


Literally the only pictures of either of us that I took the whole weekend...




Panorama of the whole mine (click for the full size.)

The next day we went to this huge army surplus store. Jonathan has been there before with his parents, but his mother never wanted to go walk around the junkyard itself. I can't imagine why. But as a result she missed out on cool things like this old train car and a massive pile of old WWII helmets...


And just because I think you should meet Jonathan's in-law's lovely dog...

(Sorry Mrs. Edwards, I couldn't resist!)

The poor dog was literally used as a kick dog by some college guys, and as a result has a few issues. But the Edwards have adopted the little thing...

We pretty much just hung out and did nothing all weekend. Lit a few fireworks, saw Public Enemies (the movie, not the rap group), went out to dinner. Mostly just discussed politics, culture, and whether beauty really is in the eye of the beholder (Katie... ahem, and here and here.)

I've got to imagine poor Mrs. Edwards now thinks I am a total whack job. Jonathan brings out the, ummmm, best in me. Most of what we discuss I half believe, but ramp up the level of hyperbole just to tweak Jonathan's wife Katie. It's a tradition dating back to when I first met her when they were dating, and I believe I said that someday I was going to give my children serial numbers instead of names. ;)

I also gave Katie's sister a special gift. You can read about it on her blog here...

After what was not nearly a long enough weekend, I made the long drive home on Monday.

After a morning Starbucks, I had a weeeee bit of energy. Figured I would burn some time on the long road trip. So, Ipod on shuffle, and I get to be a rockstar in my own mind...


Since this time it was actually in the daylight, I took a few pictures along the way. The drive is beautiful (again, click to view the full size.)

I saw this absolutely massive house north of Kanab. Probably needs a house that big for all the wives...


In honor of my mom, I stopped at this historical marker. I have no idea what occurred at this location (something important, I am sure.) I only stopped to take a picture to harass my mom, not to actually read the information...


I stopped at the bridge over the Colorado River at Marble Canyon...


(click above for large version)

As I walked up to the bridge, I was scanning for boulders small enough for me to lift. Unfortunately, the fine authorities of the state of Arizona had anticipated my mischievous intentions...


Every fiber in my being wanted to violate that sign. Like I couldn't just look over the bridge and see if anyone was down there. Sheesh...

(click above for larger version)

Finally, Chief Yellowhorse apparently catches some really big dreams...


As always, my visit with Jonathan and Katie was far too short. Although I am sure Katie was happy to have her normal, calm, unoffensive husband back after I left. I know he is a perfect angel when I am not around... ;)


PS: The preacher at the end of the video above is Matt Chandler. I downloaded his series on Luke, and made it through 20 of the 43 sermons on my trip. All of them were good, but if my memory serves me, these were particularly good...

Skeptics Welcome (Luke - Part 1)
A Righteous Response to Absurd Promises (Luke - Part 2)
Of Danger and Ditches (Luke - Part 16)
Hope in Real Life (Luke - Part 18)


PPS: Mr. Edwards, I timed myself writing this post. It took me approximately one minute forty three seconds. Including editing the video...

I keeeeed, I keeeeed... ;)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to see that you've seen the light and now recognize Nancy's true inner beauty and how hard she is fighting the worldly definition of what beauty is. Teenage girls all over the world feel a little better about themselves after watching her program.

Jason Addink said...

Argghhhhh!!! ;)

Unknown said...

I'm going to need a crash course in video editing from you one day....

Ronnie

Jason Addink said...

All I used was Windows Movie Maker. It's really a piece of cake.

Of course, you have one of them Apple thingies, so who knows...

PatEUtah said...

That's great! It only took me one minute and 42 seconds to read it, watch the video and listen to the four sermons. And you can call me Pat rather than Mr. Edwards. I tell people I don't care what they call me as long as it reflects profound respect and deep-seated love.
"Mr. Edwards"

Jason Addink said...

Yes sir! Profound respect and deep-seated love it is! (thanks for the place to crash for a few days!)

Don't let that Bakker character give you too much grief...