Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Why adopt?

At some point here, Paige and I will have to do a post on how we came to the decision to adopt. But for now, I'll let Paige's cousin do the explaining for me. They are adopting from Ethiopia as well, and have been waiting forever for their boys. They wrote a letter to their agency, and Jason explains in two sentences the bottom line motivation...

As Christians, we owe everything to God’s relentless, pursuing, patient love for us in Christ. When I was powerless and helpless, Christ died for me (Rom 5:6). The Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve and give His life as a ransom for us (Mark 10:45). I have been adopted into God’s family because Christ was willing to do whatever it took to bring me to His Father and now my Father so that I can cry out loud “ABBA, Father” (Rom 8:15).

Therefore, we wish for it to be known that we are not in this endeavor simply “to get a child” so that if one case doesn’t work out we will just get “another referral.” We are commissioned as Christians to “visit orphans in their affliction” (James 1:27), bring justice to the fatherless and plead widow’s cause (Is 1:17).

Read the rest of their post here...

No comments: