Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Non-flammable? Challenge accepted!

In between rounds of Calvinball this summer, I did manage to squeeze in a trip to Utah to visit my buddy Bakker.

(An aside... the other morning Paige woke up claiming she had a nightmare. In this dream, I got Jonathan's name tatoo'd on myself.  She was horrified... but I briefly considered whether this sounded like a good idea or not.  Which I think only horrified her more.)

Anyways... after the usual stops...

Parking lot sleeping at the Flagstaff Little America...


Panoramic photo at whatever overlook this is...


The Pa(i)ge Arizona sign...


I made the drive to Salt Lake in one piece. We spent a few days doing what we always do... pretending we are little boys again. And now he is fortunate to have two boys of his own to pass these things on to. We showed them the pleasures of an open flame and molten glass...


Firearms...


Homemade smoke bombs...


Fireworks of the storebought kind. Also note that I am very jealous of the awesome shirt Bakker is wearing...


Tommy has obviously done this once or twice. He's got the word "more" down pat, and alternated between me and his father for near continuous fireworks.


Finally, there was the magical copper thermite powder. Maybe not the safest way to light the stuff (note open toed sandals and lack of safety eyewear.)


But it sure is pretty when it goes off!


Then it was back home again, and off to Michigan to catch up with the family a while later...

No comments: