Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Ugh... blogging...

So people are harassing me about the lack of blogging.  They say they want more stories of the funny stuff our kids do.

Ugh.  So here's my excuse...

I've been working on the same project at work now for about 2 years.  The last few months (like... 12 or so...) have been a mashup of Calvinball and Dilbert comic strips...





Engineers are typically obsessed with specifications.  One of the first rules of Calvinball is "Any player may declare a new rule at any point in the game. The player may do this audibly or silently depending on what zone (Refer to Rule 1.5) the player is in."  The two just don't get along.  Which leaves you, at the end of the day, browsing the Despair.com site looking for a pick-me-up...


Then after that, it's home to face the Mongol horde, who no doubt have pillaged their way though every room in the house and over-run the defenders (aka Mom.)  I've heard several quotes along the lines of this one, from Hannah Arendt:  “Every generation, Western civilization is invaded by barbarians – we call them ‘children.’”

There are days when I think it would be easier to face these guys then walk through the front door...


It's like the Battle of Zama has occurred.  Inside our house.  Including the elephants.

And Paige can certainly tell her own side of the story, just so you don't think I am picking on her.  She's the one getting over run, and then I come home all hopped up and stumble into the aftermath, and freak out that there are still bodies scattered all over the field of battle.

Yeah, yeah... I realize I have it pretty good, all things considered.  I have a house, health, a wife who loves me, kids who claim to, a job, etc.  So I am only sort of complaining.  I'm just saying that after a long day of Calvinball, then spending 30 minutes trying to keep freaking out kids in their beds for early bedtime due to misbehavior, while reading Christian blogs in a desperate attempt to pretend that I don't just want to go in there and smack someone upside the head, under the illusion that I actually have my parenting act together, wondering if this whole "quiver full" deal was really the right plan...

...the last thing I feel like doing after all that is blogging funny stories about our kids that make it look like we have it all put together.

There's a reason these bottles are all half empty people...

Speaking of which, excuse me while I drop a few ice cubes in a glass and select a favorite.
Ahhh.... now on to the blogging.



So in the midst of the absolute meltdown tonight, over spelling words, I believe, after being sent to their rooms and told to get PJs on and go straight to bed, after being yelled at by their totally put together parents, after completely disobeying, and stretching (and breaking) every bit of patience we have...

One boy is sitting on the floor, putting on his PJs.  The other is disrobing, slowly, while ranting about what awful parents he has.  Buck naked, undies in hand, he makes his way back to his bed.

Aimed straight for his brother, who is sitting on the floor, from behind.

Swings one leg over him, and slowly draaaaaaaaaags right over the top of his head.

"Ewwwwwwww!!!  I can smell your stinkiness!"

Paige and I, despite being totally hacked at them, could not contain the laughter.

Sometimes it's that bit of laughter that keeps you sane...

1 comment:

n8 Addink said...

We feel your pain, Jason (and Paige)! Sometimes a well-timed kid-ism is the only thing preventing mass homicide in our house. And the oldest three have had at LEAST a half-dozen "Worst. Day. Ever."s between them...in the last week. Thanks for hanging in there...and for seeking to Parent with Purpose...and for finding the energy to get back online so we blog-stalkers (kinda like Facebook-stalkers, only different) can get our fill of "The Antics of the Other Addinks Who are Not That Different And Give Us Hope"!

If you need a few laughs, Bett's posted a few stories in the last little while...although you've got the address wrong in your links bar. We're a Wordpress.com blog now.

And one word of advice. Montana Whiskey. By Roughstock. Bett swears by it.