Monday, May 12, 2008

Look Ma, no... training wheels!

Ella saw a little boy from his neighborhood go by on his bike tonight, with his dad helping him balance and no training wheels. She decided that she was ready to take off her training wheels too. So off came the wheels, and we made a few passes in front of the house. After about five minutes of galloping down the street like the hunchback of Notre Dame, trying to hold on to a bike seat a mere 6 inches off the ground, I had had enough. I decided that bike needed some engineering. A few hose clamps and a spare piece of pipe later, we were in business!



Ella had a huge smile the whole time, and was as brave as I have ever seen her when attempting a new experience. New experiences for Ella usually involve tears and lots of convincing from Paige and me. But she was all pumped up about riding her bike.

I kept going back and forth, thinking that my redneck contraption worked really well. Heck, there might even be other parents who are sick of hunching over and hobbling around behind their kid while trying to teach them to ride a bike. People might even pay for such a contraption! And there are like, 348 million kids in the US alone. Every one of them could use one of these, at a mere $19.99 each. It's a bargain! Finally, the invention that will make me rich and allow me to retire early! Then Paige burst my bubble, and said "Ummmm, honey... I think they already sell those in the store." Sure enough, someone stole my idea already... bugger...

Ready Rider

After bike riding, the kids were filthy. They also had been asking to play with the glow sticks ALL day. So we had our first ever glowstick bath. Cracked open all the glowsticks, fill the tub up, and turn off the lights. They thought it was the best bath ever!

3 comments:

The Kempiak Party of Five said...

That is so cool! I want one.

The Kempiak Party of Five said...

Do you put the glowsticks in the water?

Jason Addink said...

I can make you a "Ready Rider" (although not as polished) for the bargain price of $19.99!

They played with the glowsticks under the water, above the water, waving them around, in the cups, up their noses (that, they thought, was the funniest location of all.) I just put the camera on the tripod and set it to a 15 second exposure to capture the action.