Sunday, June 22, 2008

Never throw away a turkey carcass on Tuesday...

...if your garbage doesn't get picked up until the next Monday. Paige cooked a turkey on Tuesday. It had been in our freezer for about 2 years now, so she thought it was about time to eat it. Our kids weren't to fond of turkey, and we couldn't eat the whole thing. Its tenderness had suffered from the long stay in the deep freeze, so we put the carcass and leftover meat in a garbage bag and tossed it in the garbage can out back. Turkey carcass... in a plastic bag... in the enclosed garbage can... in 110° heat. Our back yard slowly began acquiring a certain, ummm... aroma. On Saturday I moved the garbage can to mow the lawn, and found this...



Unfortunately, this picture was taken Sunday evening, and doesn't come close to doing justice to what I found. A good one foot square area under the can was saturated with rotting turkey juice, covered in a thick layer of squirming maggots. It was revolting.

I delayed actually opening the garbage can until the lawnmower bag was so full of grass the mower wouldn't function. Keep in mind... my nose doesn't work. I can stick my head into a diaper pail, inhale deeply, and not even flinch. Farting at work is a dangerous proposition for me, because I could be asphyxiating co-workers three cubes away, and I wouldn't have the faintest clue.

When I opened the garbage can... I almost puked right there. It was really bad.

As soon as I turned my back to finish the lawnmowing, the dog sauntered up to the garbage can, licked up the melted turkey goo, and gobbled down every last maggot.

Just your warning for next time you come over, and our dog licks your face to greet you...
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yeah. banjoy ate poop when i babysat her. i thought that was revolting...