Monday, December 7, 2009

Road trip

So we sold the ol' minivan. Found this real sucker to unload it on.

Unfortunately, I had to drive it all the way to Michigan to deliver it to Paige's sister and brother-in-law.

And by "unfortunately," I really mean "three days all by my lonesome in a car and then a few more days mostly by myself to read books? I think this is as close to heaven on earth as I will get..."

So yeah, I hopped in the car the day after Thanksgiving and left for Michigan (after stopping for a wake up Dutch Bros coffee, of course.) And because my wife is a super-worry-wart, I texted updates and pictures along the way:

11/27 7:26: Payson... brrrrr!!!

11/27 10:09:



[I saw this somewhere in New Mexico. Apparently some paint truck exploded on the highway here...]



11/27 16:02:


[Paige texted back "slow down in that state :)" She speaks from experience, if you know what I mean.]

11/27 16:49: Stopping for dinner [in Amarillo. Can you read that sign?]


11/27 17:32: Now I'm really stopping for dinner


[FYI, if you ever stop at the Dairy Queen approximately 40 minutes east of Amarillo... don't. Fries and a hamburger took approximately 20 minutes to make. After I waited the first 20 minutes for them to make three shakes for the guy ahead of me. Wow. Good thing I wanted to get out and stretch my legs anyways...]

11/27 18:08: Did I leave my pocket knife at home?

11/27 19:03: Ok-lahoma!


11/27 20:50: Rest stop about 40 miles west of OK City. Nighty-night!


[This was my bed for the night. A sleeping bag rolled out in the back of the van. Worked great, and super cheap for a Dutchman.]

11/28 6:34: On the road again!


Paige, 8:20: I hope you are drinking LOTS of coffee! How did you fare last night?

11/28 10:33: Great! My bed was comfy and warm, and no zombies tried to gain entrance to my vehicle.

Paige, 10:38: Why are you not responding!?!

11/28 10:40: I just did! Panicky wife! ;)

11/28 11:15:


11/28 13:22: Singing my way through Missoura


11/28 15:48: Lovely sunset in the land of the free


11/28 15:52: Crossing the bridge into Obamaland. Disarmed. Ughh.


Paige, 18:50: Dude are you to Chicago by now? You are gonna do this in two arent you? :) Tell me where you are, I like to check the map and see your progress. LOVE YOU!

11/28, 18:52: Lexington exit 178. Still feelin good. 2 days might be a stretch though.

Paige, 19:09: Just looked it up on Mapquest and you are 4 hours and 26 min away!

11/28 19:18: That's a long 4 hours though. I'm already popping Pepcid, so I don't dare drink more coffee...

11/28 20:16:
Ughhhh, this place reeks! [I was in Chicago.]

11/28 20:46: FREEEEEEEEEDOM!!! [I actually yelled it Braveheart style upon leaving Illinois]


[I also managed to make it through that entire state without spending a dime. No purchase of gas or food. I did, however, manage to leave a "deposit" at one of their rest stops...]

11/28 21:56: 1 mile into the holy land and my head is killing me. Popped a migraine pill and am stopped at the MI welcome center for the night. 37 degrees out right now. Could be chilly!


11/29 6:36: Ahhhh, the holy land. 1700 miles of clear sunny blue skies... And then Michigan! ;)


11/29 8:00:


11/29 8:43: [At the in-laws]


In all, a totally uneventful trip. I listened to yelling preachers, bluegrass, 8 hours of a John Adams book on tape (only 1/4 of the way though it!), and got hourly updates on Tiger Wood's crash every time I turned on the news. Frankly, the drive was easier by myself than it usually is with two drivers. Of course, with two drivers we also have four kids and a dog along.

Once in Michigan, I pretty much just sat around and read all day. And played with my nephews. For getting a new set of wheels, Max sure was a cranky little bugger. Just look at the evil faces he made at me:





Ok, Ok, so I might have encouraged him, much to the dismay of his mother. But his Grandpa started it!

I also sat out in the blind Sunday night, Monday morning, and Monday night while Paige's dad walked the woods trying to scare Bambi towards me.



See all the deer out there? Yeah... neither did I.



I think my brother-in-law and his brother's did a decent job of scaring every last deer out of there before I showed up. Oh well...

Then on Wednesday I headed to the airport for my flight back home...

11/29 8:00: The green "revolution?" It might have been "eco" but it was anything but "soft." Youch!!


[Nothing in this post should be construed in any way to condone texting while driving. All traffic and safety laws were obeyed during all portions of this post. Including Illinois' ridiculous gun laws.]

1 comment:

ahijon said...

Jason, regarding the Obamaland portion of your drive - YOU ROCK!