Monday, October 27, 2008

Cadet campout



I went camping over the weekend with the Cadets from Phoenix CRC. We spent the weekend at Larson Ridge, up on top of the rim north of Payson. I've been going on Cadet campouts since I was about 8 years old. I think I look forward to that weekend more than any other during the year.

Highlights:
- Setting up "Camp Faber." Marv sends me up with his tent every year, with instructions to find him a good spot. He also loves harassing me about being a right wing nut job. So a little harassment was in order.


- Finding a hive of bees on the hike out of Chevlon Canyon and getting stung. Ok, not a highlight so much.
- Breakfast. Bacon, sausage, pancakes, scrambled eggs, and hot coffee. For some reason, breakfast doesn't taste any better than on the campouts.
- Shooting holes through the blowers that have been the source of much stress (and my salary) the past 5 years.
- Backing into a pine tree as I was leaving and denting my bumper. Ok, again... not a highlight.

More pictures from the trip:

4 comments:

azsteenstras said...

I do miss a good "jason" fire... Gotta new rifle coming in before Barak takes office. Pics will be forthcoming soon... See Paige? I do spend my own money sometimes! :)

Jason Addink said...

You talk as if President Obama (shudder...) is a foregone conclusion. It ain't over till the fat lady sings. Let's just hope she still has a few tunes left before Tuesday...

azsteenstras said...

Better to assume the worst and plan, than to be caught with your pants down....oh wait...is that marv??

Jason Addink said...

Odd coincidence that I just re-read this:

"Therefore, since the world has still
Much good, but much less good than ill,
And while the sun and moon endure
Luck’s a chance, but trouble’s sure,
I’d face it as a wise man would,
And train for ill and not for good."