Thursday, October 2, 2008

Palin Syrah, with Sarah Palin

(This post is tape delayed by approximately 3 hours)

The evening I have been anticipating since the Republican National Convention has arrived. The Vice-Presidential debate! As a friend at work said, "This is your Superbowl, isn't it?" Yup! I could care less about sports, but I am glued to politics. Or as Paige might define it... "obsessed."

Last week I read an article on a w(h)ine bar in San Francisco. Their best selling wine was "Palin Syrah," at least until McCain announced his VP pick. The snooty SF liberals wouldn't drink it, because it was too similar Sarah Palin's name. Not to fear though, Republicans picked up the slack and ordered the stuff by the case. Including me, mainly because it sounded like a good excuse to try some wine. I've acquired the taste for coffee now ("acquired" being another description for "fairly addicted to the stuff.") If I acquire the taste for wine, my transformation to full-grown adult will be complete. Sort of.

Anyways, I ordered two bottles of the stuff, even though I don't really like wine. Figured I would try some on debate night. I talked to the guys at North Berkeley Imports about their sales. They said they didn't really notice a dip in sales after the VP announcement, but saw a large upswing in sales after the article above started to make its way around the web. Darn vast right wing conspiracy.

So tonight, after we get the kids in bed, I will fire up the VCR and see just how Sarah Palin does. I'm hoping she will blow Biden out of the water (aka convention speech)... but it also has the possibility of being less than stellar (aka Katie Couric interviews.)



Either way, the bottle might get polished off tonight... either in celebration, or to drown my miseries. That Palin Syrah ain't half bad. Let's hope Sarah Palin is just as good...

PS: I better lay off the wine prior to the debate. I guess I am a cheap date. I've had two glasses already. One more, and I might be watching Palin and Biden debate their doubles!
Posted by Picasa

No comments: