Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Lost and found

I stopped by Barnes and Noble tonight to pick up a book. While I was waiting at the information desk, the lady there was on the phone, and a customer was standing there with her. She was saying something to him about it having been 20 minutes since she started the call. I figured they were looking for a book at another store, which seemed like an awfully long time to wait on the phone. After about five minutes, she started describing to whoever was on the phone that she was at the information desk at the center of the store. Then she waved to someone behind me, and I turned around to see two cops walking up to the desk.

As the officers walk up, she says "So this is what we have in lost and found," motioning to something behind the counter. I thought maybe a gun, or drugs.

I peeked over the counter. There on the floor was a baby. Smiling away in her carseat.

The customer pointed out to the cops who he thought was the father. The guy was strolling around looking at books, apparently oblivious to the fact that his kid had been sitting under the information desk for at least 20 minutes.

The cops talked to him, and I assume gave him the kid back. I didn't hang around for the final conclusion, since I didn't really know the whole story.

But a baby in lost and found. Not something you see every day.

1 comment:

The Kempiak Party of Five said...

I found a 2 year old standing on Val Vista and Key Biscayne in a diaper one morning as I headed to work. I couldn't believe it!