Friday, July 25, 2008

Us... Senior year

Part 1
Part 2

I am sure that there was much girlish squealing in the room after I left. I wouldn’t know. I was terrified to go back, for fear of what she would say. Eventually I think she came over and found me, and said that the feeling was mutual. It’s all kind of a blur to me, what with the adrenaline and all.

Either that same day, or a couple of days later, the infamous bar night occurred. I already have a post on that evening, so go here if you want to read it again.

We didn't dare to say anything to any of my roommates, for fear that Todd might kill me. All of her roommates knew what was going on though, and I am sure mine had to know as well. It’s not like we were that good at hiding it. We suddenly started hanging out together, just the two of us. We shared a chocolate shake from Dairy Queen (one straw!) on the couch that we had moved to the sidewalk outside our rooms. We spent one week falling madly in love before the school year ended, and then we both left for home. We never even went on a date.

Paige’s sister Lindsey came out to Iowa to visit right at the end of the year. They drove me out to the airport in Sioux Falls. Paige bet me that I couldn’t stop drinking Coke, as I had quite the habit. I haven’t had one since that day. Paige and Lindsey drove my 1970’s Malibu back to my grandparent’s house after dropping me off. A vacuum line had failed, so it stalled every time you came to a stop. They had quite the drive from Sioux Falls to Orange City, then came jerking to a stop in the driveway. I am sure Lindsey was convinced that I was quite the catch after that car ride home!

I still got a B in the class (dang it!) But I had the girl, and I also managed to get a job in Tucson working for my uncle. I stayed at my grandparent’s house all summer. My grandpa told me that his long distance was virtually free, and to use it. I did. We spent hours on the phone getting to know each other long distance. It was probably a good thing that I stayed in Tucson. My little sister tried to listen in on the phone any opportunity she got, so at least I had a little bit of privacy in Tucson. Whenever my family came to visit though, we could hear a 12(ish) year old breathing on another phone.

After the longest summer of my life, I flew to Michigan to drive back to school with Paige. This also meant I got to meet the in-laws. Terrified doesn’t begin to describe me. I don’t recall anything specific about meeting her family. Hopefully I didn’t make too big a fool of myself. We went on our first date, to a pub in Grand Haven and then for a walk down the pier. We stood at the lighthouse at the end of the pier for a long time talking. And apparently, for Paige, waiting for me to kiss her. But remember… social awkward, etc… so I had no idea. So no romantic first kiss... in the sunset... at the end of a picturesque pier... on our very first date. What a maroon! (me, that is.) I'd like to claim I was trying to be an upstanding gentleman... but I was just petrified. I really wanted to kiss her though...

In Michigan, first time meeting the inlaws.


The first kiss didn’t happen for weeks (months?), after we were back at Dordt... on a couch... in my dorm room. Not exactly the most romantic location. And I think Paige actually kissed me first. What a goober! I’m frankly amazed she kept going out with me. We spent pretty much every available minute together senior year. I was smitten. I remember only one major fight. I don’t remember what it was about, only that it was my fault (of course.)

By February, I had purchased a ring, with literally every penny I had. In fact, I actually had to call my dad and ask if I could borrow my tax refund from him advance. He asked what for, and I just said I needed to “make a purchase.” I didn’t really tell him what I was up to, but he knew. He said “Borrow the money, and buy the nicest one you can afford.” Somehow, I managed to get the ring at the single jewelry store in Sioux Center without anyone spotting me. It's a small college town, with one jewelry store. If you were shopping at Pat’s Jewelry, everyone knew what you were up to.

I called her parents one night, from her room while she was at work, so my roommates wouldn’t catch me. Her sister Erin answered the phone. I remember the beginning of the conversation almost verbatim…

Jason: Hi Erin. I need to talk to you parents.
Erin: Both of them?
Jason: Yes.
Erin: Is anything wrong?
Jason: No.
Erin (excitedly): Is this what I think it is?
Jason: Yes.

I don’t remember what her parents said to me, if they asked how I planned to support their baby girl, or anything similar. But they said I could marry her, if she would say yes.
So I put the finishing details on my plan…

Random photo of the lovebirds.


Must have been humid that day. Really humid.


We spent half of Christmas break in Michigan


and the other half in Arizona. Angie, annoying little sister that she was (Hi Ange!), tried to follow us everywhere.


I tried to show her every cool thing I could think of in Arizona, so she would fall in love with the place. It still hasn't worked...

4 comments:

Lindsey said...

I sure remember that trip and the old Malibu. If I recall correctly when we parked it in your grandparents' drive way it wouldn't start again. Remind me to tell you about how Paige thought the brake was the clutch. It made for some interesting stops - as if there weren't enough problems with the stalling already!

Jason Addink said...

You two abused my poor Malibu! That was a sweet car. Many a good ride to Sioux Falls in that chick machine (bench seat in the front even!)

andje said...

i wanted to see every cool thing in arizona too. sheesh.

Anonymous said...

Jason, you forgot to mention how while Paige was gone all day student teaching during senior year, you would come over and just lay in her bed all day since you missed her so much!! It was either that or you enjoyed my company - I'm positive that it is the first reason though:)